DSC(Digital Signature Certificate)
Digital Signature Certificates (DSC) are the digital equivalent (that is electronic format) of physical or paper certificates. Few Examples of physical certificates are drivers’ licenses, passports or membership cards. Certificates serve as proof of identity of an individual for a certain purpose; for example, a driver’s license identifies someone who can legally drive in a particular country. Likewise, a digital certificate can be presented electronically to prove one’s identity, to access information or services on the Internet or to sign certain documents digitally. Physical documents are signed manually, similarly, electronic documents, for example e-forms are required to be signed digitally using a Digital Signature Certificate.
Different types of DSC
Based on the level of validation, DSC is issued in three classes.
Class I only validates the email address of the user. You may not be required to provide any documents for this.
With a Class II DSC, the certificate may be validated by the certifying authority or its representative. You will have to provide identity and address proof. These are used for e-filing income tax returns and on MCA portal.
A Class III DSC is issued directly by the certifying authority and indicates a higher level of authenticity. To get a Class III DSC, you have to be personally present in front of the certifying authority, along with identity and address proofs.
Such DSCs are used to participate in e-tendering or e-auctions organized by governments or public sector companies. These can also be used for e-filing tax returns.
Government e Marketplace(GeM)
(GeM) platform was launched on 9th August, 2016 as an online, end to end solution for procurement of commonly used goods and services for all Central Government and State Government Ministries, Departments, Public Sector Units (PSUs) and affiliated bodies.
GeM offers following Services:-
• GeM provides a complete end-to end contactless, cashless and paperless procurement system.
• GeM enhances transparency and efficiency in the procurement process.
• GeM is a trust based system with minimal manual intervention.
• GeM provides decision support to help users achieve optimal value-for-money.
• GeM provides a robust audit trail along with an internal system of check and controls.
• GeM is an inclusive platform and supports the objectives of the various preferential market access policies for Micro and Small Enterprises (MSEs) and startups.
• GeM actively drives collaboration with key stakeholders including Ministries and States.
• New Services like Courier Service & Goods Transport Service has been Launched on GeM.