A design registration is used to obtain protection for the features of shape, configuration, pattern or ornaments.Design registration can be used to protect original shapes, patterns, ornaments, and composition of colours and lines applied to any article by an industrial process. Trademark karo offers an easy process for obtaining design registration.The words “pattern” and “ornament” refer to something that is embossed, engraved or placed upon an article for the purpose of decoration.The industrial design recognizes the creation new and original features of new shape, configuration, surface pattern, ornamentation and composition of lines or colors applied to articles which in the finished state appeal to and are judged solely by the eye.
Why obtain design registration
1. Legal Protection
2. Market Presence
3. Rights of the Owner
4. Global Protection.
5. Makes Work Known
6.Branding or Goodwill
Essential requirements for the registration of design under the Designs Act, 2000:
- The design should be new or original, not previously published or used in any country before the date of application for registration.
- The design should relate to features of shape, configuration, pattern or ornamentation applied or applicable to an article.
- The design should be applied or applicable to any article by any industrial process.
- The features of the designs in the finished article should appeal to and are judged solely by the eye.
- The design should not include any trade mark or property mark or artistic works.
- The Design should be significantly distinguishable from a known design or a combination of known designs